As per the latest data (2020) from the Centre of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in the United States, 1,603,844 new cases of cancer were reported, and 602,347 people died of cancer. For every 100,000 people, 403 new cancer cases were reported and 144 people died of cancer. Cancer is the second most leading cause of death in the United States with one of every five deaths in the United States is due to cancer. According to World Health Organization (WHO), cancer arises from the transformation of normal cells into tumor cells in a multi stage process that generally progresses from a pre cancerous lesion to a malignant tumor. The notable risk factors for the cancer are tobacco use, excessive alcohol consumption, unhealthy lifestyle & diet, physical inactivity, air pollution, and other non communicable diseases.
The cancer treatment usually has a combination of treatments, such as, surgery with chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Cancer treatment can cause numerous side effects that affects almost all part of the body and chemo mouth is one of the major noticeable side effects observed in majority of the cancer patients.
What is Chemo Mouth?
Chemo mouth, also known as oral mucositis, is a most common side effect of chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Chemo mouth is caused by the damage that cancer treatment (Chemotherapy and radiation therapy) can do to the cells in the mouth and throat. The commonly observed symptoms observed in chemo mouth are:
- Painful ulceration and sores in the mouth
- Redness, swelling, and inflammation of the oral tissues
- Dry mouth (Xerostomia) due to reduced salivary production
- Difficulty in swallowing (Dysphagia)
- Alteration or loss of taste (Metal taste)
- Increased risk of gum (periodontal) infection
- Bad breath (Halitosis)
- Dental cavities (caries)
- Opportunistic infections such as oral thrush (Candida)
Management of Chemo Mouth
While there is no cure for chemo mouth, its severity can be reduced that can help to relieve symptoms associated with chemo mouth. Early management of chemo mouth can help to prevent the symptoms from worsening. Chemo mouth management requires a multiple approach as listed below:
- Maintaining Good Oral Hygiene: It is very important to maintain good oral hygiene of chemo mouth. Keeping chemo mouth clean by brushing the teeth twice daily using a soft bristled toothbrush, regular flossing, and rinsing the chemo mouth three to four times in a day by using gentle mouthwash, such as sea salt based natural healing rinse mouthwash.
- Careful Food Selection: It is recommended to avoid spicy foods, alcohol, and acidic beverages in chemo mouth, as they can further irritate and worsen the chemo mouth symptoms. Sticky and sugar rich foods should be avoided to reduce the chances of dental caries.
- Frequent Hydration: Keeping the chemo mouth hydrated by frequent water intake will help to keep the chemo mouth moisten and further prevent it from drying out.
- Medications: Based on the severity of chemo mouth, pain management medications, including antibiotics, may be prescribed by dentist or oncologist to alleviate the chemo mouth symptoms.
- Regular Dental Check Up: Frequent dental examinations and cleanings will help to keep the chemo mouth clean and prevent dental diseases.
- Avoiding Irritating Oral Care Products: In order to reduce the discomfort, such as burning and stinging associated with chemo mouth, it is important to avoid oral care products that contain alcohol, artificial colors, harsh chemicals, and preservatives. Opting for gentle oral care products, such as mineral enriched sea salt healing rinse mouthwash, would be an excellent and safer choice for calming the chemo mouth symptoms.
Benefits of Sea Salt Mouthwash in Chemo Mouth
Oral care products derived from organic unrefined sea salt could play a significant role in relieving symptoms of chemo mouth. Mineral enriched natural sea salt mouthwash would be gentle to oral tissues as it does not contain any colors, alcohol, fluoride, and chemical preservatives. Red Sea salt contains 82 trace minerals which have been scientifically proven to be essential to support good health and fast healing. Sea salt holds natural anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that for thousands of years has been used in wound cleansing. All of these unique properties make a sea salt mouth wash an ideal choice for taking care of chemo mouth sores naturally. Mineral enriched unrefined organic sea salt mouthwash is a natural wound healer that helps the oral cells and tissues to heal naturally by expediting the healing process. It is very important to understand that not all saline solutions are the same. Ordinary homemade saline mixes that are made from highly processed and refined table salt (sodium chloride) lack the natural benefits of mineral enriched sea salt.
The Best Mouthwash for Chemo Mouth Sores with Great Taste
H2Ocean patented all natural sea salt healing rinse mouthwash provides safe and comprehensive oral care for managing symptoms of chemo mouth. Red Sea salt, the key ingredient in H2Ocean’s healing rinse mouthwash, contains over 82 trace minerals, which naturally help to heal the ulcerated tissues in the chemo mouth. Organic Red Sea salt in the H2Ocean healing rinse mouthwash is unrefined and matches the trace minerals that are found in human body saline fluids. H2Ocean’s all natural Artic Ocean and Lemon Ice sea salt healing rinses are enhanced with natural flavors, Xylitol (natural sweetener), and lysozyme (natural antibacterial enzyme found in saliva). H2Ocean sea salt healing rinse mouthwash possesses natural soothing properties which calms and provides natural relief to the painful ulcerated areas of chemo mouth. To use H2Ocean healing rinse mouthwash properly: Step 1, use the over cap to measure out your preferred amount to allow a gentle swishing back and forth in your mouth. Step 2, hold in your mouth for a couple of minutes and gargle if you can gently with your throat. Step 3, spit out or safe if swallowed.
Unlike alcohol based mouthwash that cause dryness and burning mouth, H2Ocean sea salt healing rinse mouthwash is totally alcohol free that makes it appropriate for individuals with chemo mouth experiencing sensitive oral tissues, inflammation, and dry mouth. H2Ocean healing rinse mouthwash is also free from artificial colors and preservatives. By eliminating potentially harmful additives, it offers a safer and much more natural choice for daily oral care in chemo mouth. Choosing H2Ocean sea salt healing rinse mouthwash without artificial colors or preservatives reduces the likelihood of allergic reactions, sensitivity, and painful oral lesions in chemo mouth. Considering the immense benefits of H2Ocean sea salt healing rinse mouthwash, it is the best mouthwash choice for patients suffering with chemo mouth and sores.
Reference & Sources: