TATTOO HEALING – NOT ALL PRODUCTS ARE CREATED EQUAL
Your new tattoo is really a large open wound that needs to be protected and nurtured back to health and lasting beauty. Many a tattoo shop will suggest A&D or Aquaphor to heal a tattoo from the time you leave the tattoo shop through the following two days, while washing it 2-3 times a day with a off the shelf anti-bacterial soap. If the shop suggests that then they will most likely tell you to use non-scented lotion after those first 2 days till the tattoo is completely healed.
In all honesty NONE of these products were created with an intention to heal tattoos. A&D and Aquaphor are non USP (Pharmaceutical) Grade, but rather food grade. Also, these products are infused with mineral oil which is a skin suffocating oil and creates acne around or even on your tattoo. This leads mostly to scarring and ink loss. These ointments stick to clothing and bed sheets like nobody’s business which for you means your precious inks tend to rip out on those fabrics. This sticking leads to poor healing, irritation, scarring, and soon needed touch ups.[/one_half] [one_half]
TIPS TO HEAL YOUR NEW TATTOO
1. Use tattoo specific healing products. Other products may be great for healing owwies and boo-boo’s, but they weren’t formulated with tattoo healing in mind.
2. Only re-bandage your tattoo with a tattoo specific skin barrier. Use as recommended to prevent harmful bacteria from becoming trapped under the barrier.
3. Always wash your hands before touching your tattoo. Do not use a washcloth or anything abrasive on the tattoo.
4. Do not pick or scratch your tattoo.
5. Avoid hot tubs, public pools and the ocean during the healing process.
6. Do not over soak your tattoo with water while in the shower.
7. Avoid direct sunlight or tanning beds for a few weeks. Definitely avoid tanning oils, lotions and sand.
8. Avoid tight fitting clothes which might irritate a new tattoo.