Staying out in the sun too long during the summer can mean baking and roasting your skin. It’s a fact that the heat of the sun can cause painful sunburn and lead to serious health concerns. Staying out in the sun without any protection can lead to skin cancer. People with tattoos should also be more mindful of being exposed to the sun. Tattoos, especially new ones, are easily prone to damage through sun exposure.
With a new tattoo, the skin is still wounded and vulnerable to discomfort and damage. Tattooed skin should not be exposed too much to UV rays because it will be absorbed and cause the pigments to break up. This will lead to discoloration and fading of the tattoos. In worse cases, sun exposure has caused tattoos to crack. This is why it is necessary to use the best sunscreen made for tattooed skin.
How To Choose The Best Type Of Sunscreen For Your Tattoo?
There are hundreds of products developed to protect the tattoo from the harmful rays of the sun. But the question persists – what is the best type of sunscreen for your tattoo? Some of the most important things that must be taken into consideration when it comes to choosing a sunscreen are:
· Form: There are two basic choices for sunscreen, lotion or spray. Most skincare experts and tattoo artists would recommend using sunscreen in lotion form because they absorb better into the skin and form a protective layer. On the other hand, spray sunscreen like the H2Ocean Surfer’s Choice SPF 50 Spray is an easy and equal alternative for those spending hours on the water.
· Broad-Spectrum Protection: This means that the sunscreen provides protection from UVB and UVA rays which are both harmful to the skin and the tattoo.
· SPF: The minimum SPF to choose for tattooed skin is 30 and the maximum should be SPF50. Those higher than 50 provide the same level of protection, so it doesn’t really matter.
· Ingredients: When choosing a sunscreen, opt for products that are non-toxic that won’t cause harm to the environment. Review the ingredients to make sure that they have no phthalates, parabens or artificial fragrances. It is even better if it contains aloe vera, antioxidants, and other nourishing ingredients. H2Ocean’s Surfer’s Choice SPF 50 Spray is a sunscreen that is safe for the ocean, reefs, face, babies and tattooed skin.
· Water-resistant: Swimming and surfing are two activities that keep a person out under the sun for more than an hour. Choose a sunscreen that is water-resistant for 30 to 80 minutes like the H2Ocean’s Surfer’s Choice SPF 50 Spray.
Other Tips For Taking Care Of Your Tattoo
While choosing the right sunscreen can help protect your tattoo from damage and fading, it is also best to make small lifestyle adjustments by avoiding long baths and using whitening soaps and scrubs. Use antibacterial soap and lotions while tattoos are still healing. Avoid using tanning oils and lotion when outside and remember that it is best to stick with a quality sunscreen when you have a tattoo.
Protect your skin and your tattoo from the harmful effects of the sun by using the best sunscreen for your tattoo. The right sunscreen will protect your skin and tattoos from the damaging rays of the sun. It will prevent fading, discoloration and keep the tattoo looking at its best for a long time.